Saturday, March 19, 2011

Emotional Triggers

Emotional Triggers

On this journey we call life; we come to the occasional fork in the road. The direction we choose can either lead us to happiness or self destruction. Sometimes outside forces influence our decisions.

A friend of mine recently started dating someone new. At the age of 40 he is in love for the first time. I noticed something different about my friend since getting a boyfriend. He used to always want to go to the Chinese buffet and always had triple layer cakes to tempt me with. Now that he’s blissfully in love, he’s stopped overeating. Kind of funny how that works. Love can make you do right or make you do wrong (shout out to Al Green).

In reflection I’ve allowed relationships to influence my weight/food choices as well. I always gain weight when I have a boyfriend. I’m from the south and I love to cook comfort foods from scratch. When I break up with someone I tend to lose a dramatic amount of weight in the weeks following the break up. I eventually gain it all back but you get the picture. I eat when I am stressed and forget to eat when I’m deliriously happy. Neither is healthy. In my food journal I see the patterns; I just wish I had more control over them. I guess acknowledging the problems are at least halfway to the solution. There was a time when I had no clue whatsoever.

Doing the recaps of Heavy has caused me to self reflect as well. While not obese, we can all relate to the issues the participants deal with and lead them to the place they’ve found themselves. I see myself reflected in them and in you all. What are some of your triggers and how do you overcome temptation?

Calorieking.com

Fitbottomedgirls.com

Hungrygirl.com

Active.com

Selfmagazine.com

Fitnessmagazine.com

House-Foods.com

Sparkpeople.com

No comments:

Post a Comment